Pages

Thursday, October 21, 2010

The Kindness of Strangers

In Elizabeth City, I noticed a few stray black cats hanging out in a tranquil parking lot. I snapped some pictures, since I miss having a furry pet around.




Just as Evan and I started to cross the street to continue on our way, a woman in a teal sweatshirt crossed diagonally from an apartment building and entered the parking lot. Just like that, black shadows emerged out of bushes and I don't know where.




The lady feeds the cats every day and was fine with me taking pictures, "as long as you're not with the newspapers." She had already been told off by cops, so she was quick about it. I asked whether the town had a catch-and-release program (the cats get fixed), and she said "No way, this town won't spend the money for that." Oh well.

1 comment:

  1. What a strange, magical sight, all those black cats emerging from the shrubbery.

    Sad, though, that the cats aren't spayed and neutered. Feeding unfixed strays (or wild animals) is a short-term kindness only, often leading to more suffering in the long run. The availability of food encourages the animals to breed, and many of their progeny will end up euthanized, run over, diseased or otherwise suffering. The town is short-sighted not to encourage catch-and-release to control the population. Poor critters.

    ReplyDelete