Pages

Monday, August 30, 2010

The Cowboy from Colorado

On my flight back from Florida (sister's fortieth birthday), I fell asleep while we sat delayed at the gate. It was the head-jerking kind of nap, and, when I woke up, I apologized to the man next to me if I'd been crashing into him. He said that was ok, he hadn't noticed anything. Anyway, we got to talking, and I learned that he was a former rodeo cowboy from Colorado. I'd never met a cowboy! He described his ex-wife, sincerely deadpan, as "an OK lady," his German-descent mother as a "cranky Kraut," and his Scottish-descent father as a "70-year old who dances on his knees at nightclubs." He used to listen to Kool and the Gang at rodeos instead of country, couldn't relate to his 20-yr old son's dating stories at all since he himself had gotten married at 19, and loved NY after he went into a deli, got a puzzled look when he asked for a bagel with strawberry cream cheese, but ended up with a bagel and cream cheese, sliced strawberries on the side.

Only towards the end of the flight, after we'd been chatting and laughing, did he admit that yes, he had noticed my head snapping all over the place and that he'd wished there was something he could do cuz he'd felt bad for my neck.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous10:03 AM

    Well, that's mighty nice a ya' mamm. I'da let ya lay your head on my shoulder if I'd a known ya better. Im sure you boyfriend would know that "my kind", would only be offerin' up a courtesy leanin post without thinking anything of it.

    You have a great recollection of our conversation!

    Happy Sailing!

    Marc (Cowboy from Colorado)

    ReplyDelete